I started the clean up in the corner by the door. Shovelling(yes shovelling) the dirt and junk into the tractor bucket parked at the door.
One clump of dirt didn't break up when I hit it with the shovel. When I picked it up I realized it was a very dirty, red velvet jewelry box. When I opened it there was a diamond ring inside. What a surprise!!!!! We've looked at it closely and it has no signs of wear so it has never been worn.
So how did it get there? Who put it there? Had it been hidden on the ledge that runs around the top of the wall where it meets the roof line? It hasn't been in the corner on the floor all these years. Maybe the cats dislodged it when they were climbing up there. Why didn't the person it was intended for receive it?
So many questions. All the people who once lived here have passed on. There were four brothers in the family and two married and two were bachelors.
It seems sort of sad in a way for this ring to be forgotten all these years. Its obviously an engagement ring and from the style of the setting I'm guessing it would have been fashionable in the '40's or 50's
So what do you suppose happened?
4 comments:
wow - that's nuts!
My thoughts could go wild on the story behind the ring. Probably wouldn't be a very happy story. Lost ring? Dreams broken? The case of "Where did I put that anyway?"
That's quite a reward for a cleaning job!
Mikes first theory is that more than one of the Lawson men had designs on the cook. (The future Mrs. Lawson) It is an interesting theory, but you'd think he could have returned the ring :)
Mikes theory is one that I had considered as well.
Post a Comment